I read Luke 8 today and learned of new relationships as Jesus defines them. When we accept him as our savior, we are part of his family and on the winning team. In Luke 8 Jesus is traveling and drawing crowds. He is so popular and attracts huge crowds as he heals and encourages. At one point, the crowds tell Jesus that his mother and brothers are looking for him. Jesus responds that his brothers and mother are those who hear my word of God and do it.
Perhaps you have entered into a relationship with God at some point in your life and you want to hear God's word and do it. You are wondering what to do next? Do you follow God as a disciple? Become a full time minister or missionary? After all, what does God want you to do?
God spoke with and invited 12 strangers to be his inner circle. While others received different roles and missions. Later in Chapter 8 Jesus heals a man possessed of demons. Afterward, the man asked to follow Jesus. Jesus told him to go home and tell everyone what God has done for him. The man wanted to be on mission with Jesus. God needed him to stay home and spread the word locally.
Jesus wants us to hear Gods word and do what he asks. Here are five ways that you can do just that.
- Find out what your skills, talents and God given gifts are and find where you can use them to tell your story.
- Participate in a local body of believers. Don't just join a church, but also join the ministries. Share your experiences and enter into discussions in Bible study and Sunday school.
- Join a charity group and minister to the needs of hurting people. Take part in active service. For example, you can join a rescue mission and teach classes or serve food. Participate and build trust so you can be effective.
- Become part of an international charity. Adopt a child, build a well, donate money or whatever you are capable of. However, be involved in the name of Christ and get educated on how the organization helps.
- Look for ways of sharing your faith in normal day to day situations. You don't have to be preachy, just available when the opportunity comes to give a reason for your faith. Maybe your compelling story can help others.