Custom Search

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Being responsible for little

Luke 16:1-17

Not every part of a Christian’s life is Holy. We breathe impure air, eat tainted food and have friends and family members who are not saved. We also are called to be good stewards of all that is on earth as God has created it for his pleasure.

The parable of the unjust steward can at first seem confusing, but Jesus is warning that if a person cannot do what is expected of him with unholy task, how can God rely on them for larger jobs.

I remember when I was eight years old. It was about the time when I understood what it meant to be a Christian and also a reliable person. I was very self aware and I had always wanted to leave a good impression as a person others could rely on. My teacher at the time gave me a rather small assignment. My job was to deliver a note to another teacher in a separate wing of the school. No sooner had I left the room that I began to read the message.

Upon my return, my teacher pulled me aside and very quietly began to relay what she had seen outside of her window. As the story left her lips I began to feel small and ashamed. She concluded that she would not be able to trust me to deliver messages again. How ashamed and sorry I felt upon causing my teacher to doubt me and to disqualify myself form future trusted opportunities.

Jesus wants us to be faithful with even the riches of this world. We are to act responsibly and use money, talents, resource and anything else of this earth in a way that pleases God. We are to use it to make friends, relationships and live responsibly. Jesus is serious about building relationships and living in such a way as to lead people to him. When we misuse these resources or break the law or cause the wrong impression or lose credibility, our witnesses are shot and God will have no reason to reward us with more meaningful roles.

No comments: