Custom Search

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

How should we use our influence?

Luke 16: 14-31

The Pharisees continued to practice tough laws and Jesus continued pointing out their pretentiousness. The religious leader’s standards were so high that even God’s Kingdom seemed more flexible. There was no love or compassion for those of lesser political, religious or economical stature and qualities of a forgiving God were not relayed to the people. The Pharisees practiced a double standard and most standards did not apply to the leaders.

I’ve witnessed this kind of behavior from new leaders, including myself. For the cruel or perhaps inexperience leader, this behavior serves to validate themselves and their perceived benefits of power.

When I served in one of my first leadership assignments in the Army, I had the attitude that the rules just didn’t apply to me. I gave off the attitude that I was above reproach, but my actions did not demonstrate that. For unexplained reason, one of my team members pulled me aside on my second day in charge. As painful as it was, I benefitted tremendously from the following experience. This person who worked for me took the time to meticulously, but respectfully hold up a virtual mirror in front of my eyes. As they exposed my shortcomings, a portrait began to reveal itself on the canvas of my life. Soon, I saw a clear picture of my failing leadership style and I didn’t like what I saw. Fortunately, I took our conversation to heart and was able to make the adjustments that prepared me for greater future leadership opportunities; not so for the rich man…

Lazarus suffered out side the rich man’s gate. Though the rich man was not responsible for the pitiable man, he showed no mercy. The rich man was not in a leadership role, but had the resources available to help the dying man just outside of his property. He chose to live in luxury, power, wealth and do nothing to alleviate the suffering of one not so fortunate.

On the other side of life, Lazarus lived in luxury in Father Abraham’s bosom. Though Lazarus may have felt compassion, he could in no wise help the rich man. It was not in his control.

How about your life? Are you in a leadership or other position where you have to opportunity to help? Or, are you like the Pharisee only seeking to validate yourself with your power and position? Do you enable those around you, or do you use control and manipulation to get your way?

Think upon these questions. What you do today could make the difference in whether or not someone wants to become a Christian. The Bible is full of positive leadership role models to demonstrate how to lead while developing relationships that will bring others to know Christ.

No comments: