Custom Search

Monday, August 11, 2008

The Call

Luke 9: 57-62

Jesus continued to call disciples. Even while his face was set for Jerusalem, he continued to preach the message and recruit people to share the Gospel.

Jesus also helped people learn about themselves; all the while giving us the benefit of learning from their mistakes. We get a front row seat of his teachings. Sometimes these seats are a little too close and I am feeling somewhat uncomfortable seeing myself making the same bad decisions as those close to Jesus.

Let’s look at some statements:

“Jesus, I’ll follow you anywhere. I hope I get to maintain my life as I’ve grown accustomed to it.”

“Jesus, I’ll follow you as soon as I fulfill my family obligations”

“Jesus, I have a few friends over at my house from my college days…you know, those days before I met you. As soon as they leave I’ll go back doing your will.”

At first, these statements may seem a little simplified, but they are really just my interpretations of the excuses Jesus’ disciples gave. I’m sure Jesus wasn’t trying to turn people away, but just letting them hear the futileness of their reasoning.

Jesus addressed each statement firmly, yet lovingly enough to hopefully get a positive response. If you want to serve the savior, your heart has to be in it. Jesus calls us to a ministry or mission and we need to be faithful. He said, “let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.”

So, what has Jesus called you to do recently?

What are some of the excuses you have given?

What did Jesus reveal about your excuses?

A few Saturdays ago I went prayer walking with a few others in my church. I didn’t know what to expect and when that day came, I wanted to stay home with my family. It was hot and muggy even at 9am when we started.

However, had I not gone, I would have missed the experience of praying with a woman to restore her son’s relationship with God and his family.

If God is speaking with you, pray. You can come up with any excuse why not to do something, but prayer will put you in contact our God who would like to use you. Before you answer, talk to him and get a good perspective. While you are praying, remember me on my journey to obedience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an insight into service and understanding! Your parents must be very proud of you.