Custom Search

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Basketball Jam

So, I hear that some city is going to put an ordinance up dictating a nightly curfew on playing hoops. Is this a good idea? I can't imagine living in an area that has basketball right outside. I mean, I have a basketball goal and it is way underused.

Maybe this is going the way of Midnight Basketball. Does anyone remember that? It was an attempt to keep people off the streets by getting them interested in organized basketball tourneys. Who's not interested in a game of hoops?

Maybe by not offering basketball, we will get people off the streets. Does basketball or no basketball equal quite streets?

Basketball does seem to be the big equalizer as far as getting people together. It's loud, exciting, and people cheer for their favorite teams. Our church in involved in Upward Basketball. It's a great outreach to the local community as children of all ages participate. Half time entertainment consists of a quick bible reading or devotion.

But let's get back to the noise. Sometimes when I bounce my basketball, there is a distinct sound of the rubber hitting the pavement hard. I kind of like the tinny echo that resonates for a fraction of a second. I dream of a continuous swoosh of only net, but mostly I get the sad thud of the ball hitting the backboard way too hard.

Well, all of you midnight players. What can I say, let some air out of the ball and tape your mouths shut. Better yet, turn it up!!

No comments: