Custom Search

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Lost in the Clouds

Okay, if you have ever gotten lost and did not ask for directions, then this is for you. I know that many experienced pilots, especially my army aviator buddies get a kick out of my lack of cockpit management skills, but that's just me.

I mean, how hard can it be flying a single engine Cessna. Few controls, hardly any electronic navigation and nobody really serious about shooting you down. Still, folding and refolding charts, trying to stay focused on the right roads during visual navigation, and fatching for other planes seems to challenge me greatly.

Here is an article I wrote based on my experience as a private pilot:


“Are you following I-20 west, or are you following I-95 south?” The voice cut through my headphones. The small airplane’s engine played loudly in the background, adding to the confusion.
Just a few minutes prior, I had called the tower operator for a ‘vector’ to his airport. As I had hoped, his trained ear understood my dilemma.
“I intend to follow I-20 east to Columbia, South Carolina,” I replied confidently. Though 50 miles off course, I was now in control, and could easily find my way.
“Many people confuse the two interstate highways, so I just wanted to guide you to the correct one,” he instructed politely before continuing. “It all looks the same from above.”
I acknowledged his instructions and dismissed him with a nervous laugh and a ‘thank you’. I felt ashamed for getting lost, but nonetheless certain I could find my way to Columbia. Suddenly the familiar and friendly voice interrupted my thoughts.
“If you intend to follow I-20, turn to a heading of 270 degrees and you should see it,” he hinted gently, after noticing I was again heading in the wrong direction.
There I was, heading directly south instead of east. The man in the Florence, SC tower was more than patient with the errant pilot, but still had time to correct my course. He offered his undivided attention to illustrate the distance to the highway, and stood by until I acknowledged seeing it. All the while, I thanked him silently for keeping me on his radar.
How often do we find this illustrating our relationship with God? We realize our pilgrimage is not headed in the right direction, and we call upon the Lord for guidance. A little prayer and Bible study and we head back out armed with a compass. Confident in our new course, we suddenly find that all too familiar voice telling us we have erred again.
Even with Bible reading, church service, and prayer, we can still lack discipline. Too many activities; church, family, and work can take our focus off the Lord. Without focus, we try to interpret His will with terrible results.
Without true undivided attention on the Lord, we can lose our way to the whims of any of many distractions. In that airplane, I had a compass, radio navigation equipment, and a good map. Even with this required equipment, I became distracted and disorganized. I even had the ‘hot line’ to the tower, constant reproof, and still became disoriented.
God provides for us a focal point. With that goal, He gave us the required tools to reach it. Constant prayer, Bible study, and living a God centered life will prevent incorrect course changes. But even if we err, God is right there providing the directions to the road back. I thank Him constantly for the undivided attention and for Him ever keeping me on His radar.